Remove this ad

Lead

Dec 16 12 7:08 AM

Tags : :

Hello, I've been collecting promos for years and am glad to see a forum devoted to our favorite model cars. I focus primarily on cars from the late Forties and the Fifties, with Fords topping the list, but I also like milestone cars from the Sixties and Seventies. The first promos I ever saw were in the window of a general store in a farm town in Iowa, a row of 1949 or 1950 Fords, lined up as at a car dealer. I was 4 or 5 years old and was fascinated by the realism of the models and the variety of colors on display. I don't recall the first promo I ever purchased, but I remember my delight at discovering them displayed in hobby shops and dime stores later in the Fifties, elsewhere in Iowa and in Kansas. The first Revell and AMT kits soon stole my attention, however, then I left collecting for many years (college, job), and it was only much later that I got around to collecting the promotional models that had so fascinated me as a child: I bought a 30-year-old ivory 1949 Ford from Minnesota at a swap meet near Kennedy Airport in New York, and I was off and running. I'm looking forward to taking part in the forum in the months ahead, and though I'm an old fogey, maybe I can even manage to post a picture or two. Merry Christmas to everyone! I hope you find a nice model under the tree.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Dec 16 12 7:30 PM

Hello, and welcome to the forum! Glad you could join us here. I never started getting into promos until the last two or three years, myself. I never cared for them when I was younger because they didn't have an opening hood, or an engine. I thought they were something that you could never do much with. Boy was I mistaken! I like them now. 
Oh by the way, there are plenty of old fogey's here on this site! You'll fit right in with the rest of us! Yes, please post your promo pics whenever you're ready. Looking forward to seeing them.

--  Les  --

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Dec 18 12 11:33 AM

Thanks for joining us hamburger, and spread the word about us to others.  Looking forward to seeing all of your promos.  Even if a car you have is already shown here by somebody else, post yours anyway, because as promo collectors know, there is no such thing as too many promos to look at!smile

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help