Remove this ad

Lead

Jan 4 13 6:53 AM

Tags : :

I m a new member via Snake's Retro & Nostalgic site. I lived a few blocks from a Dealers' row in Upper Darby (Tina Fey, Tower, Todd R, Todds Hobby, 69th St Red Arrow Line).
But somehow the promocars just we not around in my area in the 50s-60s. Always fasinated by those I did see. These will be fun! Started building the HPs in '54 so no rookie to plastic in general and managed several Squadron Shops for Jerry in the 70s so I m also an OD JUNKIE.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jan 4 13 5:54 PM

Thanks for joining, Flip.  Is Upper Darby a part of New York City?  Also, I'm not sure what HP's are.
Nonetheless, I'm glad we have another new member.  Snake is one of our first members on this forum.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jan 4 13 7:36 PM

I m a new member via Snake's Retro & Nostalgic site.

-philm540

I see you've been reading the back posts over there. Good for you! wink

If not for Mark and the Promo site, the Retro site would have never been born. I can't give enough credit to this place.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jan 4 13 10:22 PM

Upper Darby borders"West" Philiadelphia along Cobbs Creek after 63rd Street. The Communities to its South extend down I 495 to I95, the airport and rivers of Philly. It is a municipal township which is uncommon. Most US Townships are geographical divisions. If classified a city, it would be a significant second tier city.

HP is shorthand for Highway Pioneers which are generally credited with being the major influence in the launch of plastic car kits and the transition of Revell into hobby kits from toys (the longstanding H in the Revell kits' number reflect the Hobby line). ...as many of you already know. Anyway glad to find this forum. It will open my eyes to a world that has been elusive.

Flip

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jan 5 13 6:02 AM

Welcome aboard, Flip. Would OD be Olive Drab? Being a car nut, I think of Overdrive. In any case, full speed ahead.  

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#6 [url]

Jan 6 13 4:52 AM

Yes OD was used as olive drab , in short, for military modeling.

The "G&G". Jag 120 is a nice build. The "sit" may or may not be perfect yet the proportions and swept curves speak cat. Many companies copied or issued the Gowlands' design and even among the Highway Pioneers the Revell issues vaired in color. I prize one I have molded in sky blue. The Jaguar said," you ain't won the race yet and pulled around that T-bird like a Saber jet." C. Berry. Keep cool!

Flip

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jan 6 13 7:31 PM

Mine are both mint green.  I have thought of building one, and keeping the other mint boxed, but then, I might keep them both unbuilt.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help