Remove this ad

Lead

May 29 12 11:05 PM

Tags : :

Would any of you be willing to do a promo restoration tutorial for this forum?  I'll set up a category called Tech Tips.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

May 30 12 5:23 AM

I'm currently working on "restoring" a '68 Javelin and a '66 Buick Skylark. (The Skylark is actually a "Craftsman" kit but that was basically an unassembled promo--does that count?) What I do is a style I call "Optimized Promo," that is, I'll remove all molding and parting lines, polish the glass, paint and detail the interior, and add the window trim and other chrome trim (with either foil or silver paint, depending on my mood and the subject). If the thing is a decent color, I prefer to polish the plastic rather than paint the body. (Both the Javelin and Skylark are polished, not painted.) I have a number of work-in-progress pics of each I could share if you think you're interested.

BTW, before anyone has a heart attack, I do NOT do this kind of work on pristine promos, just on "distressed" or damaged ones that don't have much if any collector value to start with. The yellow '66 Barracuda I posted in the Plymouth section is a good example of the "Optimized Promo" style.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

May 30 12 7:23 AM

This forum is definitely interested in your work-in-progrss threads, and that includes Craftsman kits.
Please start a thread as soon as you feel ready.  I am interested in learning how to polish plastic and "glass", and removing glue smears.

Any knowledge any of our members can share will be eagerly received.

Thank you in advance.smile

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jun 1 12 7:47 AM

I cannot do it right now, but as soon as I get my shop set up, I would be willing to do something like you propose. In the meantime, if there is any questions asked on this forum that I can answer, I will be more than happy to do that. This hobby is a lifestyle for me. I live and breathe model cars of all types. This forum is badly needed, thank you very much for setting it up. I hope to be sharing ideas on model cars with you all for a long time to come. 

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jun 1 12 8:04 AM

A heartfelt "Thanks".  Looking forward to all tutorials from any of our members.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

Jun 1 12 5:13 PM

I cannot do it right now, but as soon as I get my shop set up, I would be willing to do something like you propose. In the meantime, if there is any questions asked on this forum that I can answer, I will be more than happy to do that. This hobby is a lifestyle for me. I live and breathe model cars of all types. This forum is badly needed, thank you very much for setting it up. I hope to be sharing ideas on model cars with you all for a long time to come. 

-rdmink

I completely agree with you on this. As much as I love model cars, some of the forums have too many big egos on them. That's the main reason I don't participate that much on the Scale Auto forum anymore. I love the forums, but when there are those who think you should think and build models like they do, and cut yours down when you don't, I don't have much interest in them. I also don't have much respect for those who do that kind of thing no matter how big of a name they have in the hobby. This hobby that I've loved for 45 years is supposed to be fun, and we are supposed to help and support each other no matter what we prefer to build or collect. I want to be a part of the forums and people who feel the same way. This one sure seems to have the right start! I'm very happy to be a part of this one.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jul 20 12 2:32 PM

-rdmink

rdmink, here's a question for ya. Below is my very first promo that started my collection, a 1954 Ford. It got warped stored in a closet in my parents' house while I was in college a long, long time ago. How can it be restored?

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help