Remove this ad

Lead

Jun 4 12 7:54 AM

Tags : :

I've been using this product for about 20 years now and am so happy with it that I simply haven't tried anything else. It used to be called Wright's Silver Cream but is now called Weiman Silver Cream--exactly the same product in exactly the same package. It's available in the household cleaning products section of Walmart and I've also bought it at drugstores such as CVS. I forget what it costs but it's not over $3 and one tub will polish out a dozen cars or more--maybe two or three dozen (I've never counted).

The stuff is a fine abrasive in a paste that has NO petro-chemical component (it's water-based), meaning it will not react with paint or plastic in any chemical way. I use an old cotton T-shirt or sweatshirt to apply it. One really nice thing about the stuff is that you can "dilute" it by dipping your polishing rag in water first, which makes the polish even finer for final polish and a very high gloss. I've used this stuff on plastic, including clear plastic (it WILL polish off chrome, though) and both enamel and lacquer paints.

After polishing, there will be polish residue in panel lines, nameplates, and other small crevices. I wash this out by putting the body under warm running water in the kitchen sink and scrubbing it out with a soft toothbrush.

The first pic below shows what the package looks like so you know what you're looking for. The other pics are of a blue '68 Javelin body that I recently polished using the stuff. This body had a very fine "etching" overall and seems to have been paint-stripped with some chemical (I don't know what). I sanded the etching off smooth with 3M Wetordry sandpaper (I think it was #1500 grit, but don't really know--I have #1000, #1500, and #2000 on hand), and then polished the plastic with the Weiman polish. The yellow '66 Barracuda that I show in the Plymouth section was polished the same way. The results speak for themselves.

Click here to view the attachment
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jun 4 12 2:38 PM

That looks great!  Since it is water based, it probably will not hurt that old acetate '53 Ford promo, so I might try it, on a lower part of a rear quarter first.  Thanks for this info.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jun 4 12 7:36 PM

You told me about this stuff a while ago, and I still haven't tried it yet! Form the pictures that you have posted after using it, I'm gonna have to get some! If this stuff works good on paint too, that's a huge bonus. I have been as far as actually having a can of it in my hand in Wal-Mart (when it was still Wright's), but put it back on the shelf. Next time, I'll put it in the cart!

I have a bunch of promos that need to be cleaned up and polished. This stuff will be just the thing I'll need to do the job. I should have used this stuff on my recent '86 Monte Carlo SS build, and I wouldn't have had to go through all the headache I went through with "The Treatment" model wax. That stuff isn't too reliable.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help