Remove this ad

Lead

Jun 15 12 4:06 PM

Tags : :

I was just going through some old issues of Scale Auto Enthusiast and in the October 1998 issue, there's a good article by Rick Hanmore on promo restoration. It's a 5-page article with plenty of good color photos, tips, and ideas. If you've got a stack of back issues of SAE, dig it up and check it out!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jun 15 12 4:35 PM

I was just going through some old issues of Scale Auto Enthusiast and in the October 1998 issue, there's a good article by Rick Hanmore on promo restoration. It's a 5-page article with plenty of good color photos, tips, and ideas. If you've got a stack of back issues of SAE, dig it up and check it out! 

-snake45

Very cool Snake! I read your post, then went and dug out my copy and checked it out also. Yes it's a very good article! A lot of good tips and ideas indeed!

I have most of the issues all the way back to early 1982. I started going through some of them and highlighting the articles that I was interested in, and puting them into a database that I spent too much time setting up. Then wasn't totally happy with the way it turned out. I guess I'll have to keep on tweaking it.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jun 15 12 9:29 PM

I still have several old issues of SAE.  I'll see if I have that one.  If I don't, would you be willing to scan it and post it?  As long as you are copying something for informative purposes, and not selling it, you would not be violating copyrights.  It falls under "fair use'.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jun 16 12 5:43 AM

I can scan it but it has to be at 150 lpi or better or you can't read it. This makes the files huge and I have no way to post or host anything that big. But I'd be glad to email them to you and you can either find some way to post/host them, or you can email them out to others on request, if you want.

Along the same lines, I ran across some 1963 Rod & Customs that had a multi-part story on the history of model cars, which turned out to be about 90-95% promos (all American cars). It looks like I have all the parts of the story except the one on Chevrolet (dernit). Lots of good information and pictures in those, too. Same deal--if you want I can scan and email them to you and you can take it from there. Let me know.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jun 16 12 6:54 AM

I'll send you a PM with my email address.  Thank you for doing this.  No hurry; whenever you have time.
Let me see if I have that issue, before you go to any trouble.  I'll go down into the catacombs (my basement) and excavate.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jun 16 12 6:40 PM

Okay, I've scanned and sent you the article. Had to scan at 300 lpi to get good repro on the pictures. If you can figure out how to post the scans in readable form, or want to send them on to others, be my guest.

I'll try to get to scanning those old R&C articles for you in the next week or so.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jun 17 12 9:32 PM

As I download and resize the other four pages, I will upload them, also.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#12 [url]

Jun 19 12 5:39 AM

I'm depressed now . A M T seems NOT to want to re- release the 60 mercury, or any older Mercury for that matter except the very "Boxy" 66. Sad too, cause back in the 70's , they did re- issue the 1959 Convertable . I shouldda gotten one then .................

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jun 19 12 8:57 AM

I don't know if the '60 Merc tooling still exists, but even if it does, I don't think there is a huge demand these days for '60 Mercs. IF the tooling still exists, you'd prolly have to convince someone like Model King that there's enough demand to justify a run of 5000. Or order them yourself.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Jun 19 12 5:03 PM

Snake , the tools for the 59 were around as recently as 1982. True , different body style . I just want some of the Big heavy stuff back as I do period dioramas . That said , I like putting something in them besides 57 Chevrolets ..............

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Jun 22 12 8:28 AM

No problem. Are you interested in those "History of Model Cars" articles from the 1963 Rod & Custom magazines that I mentioned? They're mainly about promos, with lots of good info on '50s stuff. Will scan and send you those if you want them.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Jun 22 12 9:41 PM

Absolutely!  And thank you very much in advance.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help