Remove this ad

Lead

Jun 19 12 9:14 AM

Tags : :

Was looking for something else and ran across this picture of a nice Plymouth promo collection:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37573576@N06/3470034872/

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Jun 19 12 12:51 PM

I think the light blue Valiant is a '62. They only made 2 and 4 door sedans in '60/'61. The bodystyle matches a "AMT" kit I have of a '62 Signet hardtop.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jun 19 12 7:29 PM

Just checked eBay. Several first-gen Valiants on there, everything from minty promos to very restorable builtups. Then I checked completed items to see what they've actually sold for in the last 30 days. The minty promos bring well north of $100 of course but there were quite a few very workable "project" cars that sold for under $50--some of them quite far under $50. Considering that a new model car will cost you $20-$25 these days, I don't consider $30-$40 for an OOP "builder" that will make a unique project for you to be out of line at all. Go get 'em, fellers.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jun 19 12 7:51 PM

Considering that a new model car will cost you $20-$25 these days, I don't consider $30-$40 for an OOP "builder" that will make a unique project for you to be out of line at all. Go get 'em, fellers. 

-snake45

I completely agree with you Snake. I've found quite a few of my promos at very reasonable prices. The '61 Falcon I just posted had a $100 price tag on it, but the guy was having a 50% off sale for a buddy of his who couldn't attend the toy show. He ended up taking $40 for it, and I went home with a dandy of a promo. And I felt good about the money spent on it. I would have to check my list, but if I recall correctly, I don't have over $35 in any one of the '73 - '75 Olds Cutlass promos I have. Definitely good deals, given the prices of new kits nowdays (as you referred to).

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jun 19 12 8:02 PM

Yeah, about 2-3 years ago I went on an eBay buying jag, specializing in '68 Javelin promos, and rebuildable AMT '66 Skylarks and original AMT '63-'67 Corvettes (kits, not promos). I bought a LOT of good, workable stuff in the $30-$40 range and even got quite a few for under $25. I even managed to score a couple of 100% complete mint unbuilt AMT original kits in the $70 range (a '64 Vette, '66 Vette, '67 Vette, '66 Mustang, and '68 AMT Firebird) but you can't count on lucking into those kind of deals every day, the mint unbuilt kits that old will usually bring $100 or more. But if you make a list of old OOP cars you really want, and keep your eye on eBay for "distressed" promos and restorable glue bombs, you can almost always find SOMETHING that you're looking for that you can afford very reasonably. I hate to say it but times are tough right now and there are deals to be made.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jun 19 12 8:21 PM

I remember that well! We did a bit of swapping and what-not. You did get some really good stuff among all that. I don't remember if you had gotten anything that wasn't worth doing anything with, but the pics you showed me were of some very nice (and rebuildable) models. You are so right about the tough times now, and guys like us who have limited funds, have to look for the best deals we can get.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jul 26 12 3:34 PM

Yes, I have a thing for "gluebombs", and I specialize in certain models. Right now, it's '49 to '57 Fords, '61 Rancheros, '62 Buick Electras (Especially), '63 Fords, and '66 Thunderbirds. Just recently, I bought 3 '56 Fords and had almost enough parts to build a second car, including 1 good body that I was going to part out, but now I am rebuilding it.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Jul 26 12 3:47 PM

Yes, I have a thing for "gluebombs", and I specialize in certain models. Right now, it's '49 to '57 Fords, '61 Rancheros, '62 Buick Electras (Especially), '63 Fords, and '66 Thunderbirds. Just recently, I bought 3 '56 Fords and had almost enough parts to build a second car, including 1 good body that I was going to part out, but now I am rebuilding it.

-rdmink

That's so cool Ronnie! I've been big into rebuilding glue-bombs for many years. A lot of times I like it much better than building a new kit, as it presents a real sense of accomplishment when you get done with a "basket case", and it looks great. I have many glue-bombs in my collection to rebuild. Also, it's the best way to be able to afford that model you've been wanting, but the unbuilt version is way out of reach in price. FYI, Spotlight Hobbies has/had a built Revell '57 Ford Ranchero for sale. It is the stock height top, not the chopped version later issued. I don't think it is overly expensive either. You are "into" some very good vehicles right now!

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Jul 31 12 8:49 AM

I seen the '57 Ranchero on "Spotlight Hobbies". It is too good to rebuild, especially if one likes custom cars. I bought an unbuilt kit from 1975 last year. There is campaign to retool this car as "Revell" is releasing a '57 Ford 300 sedan, which I plan to get. I do not go a day without checking model car junkyards on "E-Bay!" The thing about that is to get one car, you have to buy alot of items you do not need, which is okay, I have a ready market for model items I don't need or cannot use. But, the shipping on some items is outrageous! I have yet to buy anything off "E-Bay", for now, I'm just "kicking tires", I belong to a model club so I get most of what I want locally. Those folks that customize are always good for stock parts!

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jul 31 12 9:55 PM

Yes the '57 Ranchero on Spotlight Hobbies site is a nicely built mild custom. I'm not a custom car builder, so I would put it back to stock. I had thoughts of buying it, but decided not to as well. They do have one that is unbuilt for $50 also. Shipping isn't too bad from them, but it still costs ya! I am waiting for the new Revell '57 Ford 300 Sedan that they have coming out, also. Gotta have one!

I've only bought a couple of things off ebay. It was in 2005, and the shipping wasn't too bad on one ($6.50), but the other one was $17. OUCH! Haven't bought anything since. If you compare this with putting gas in the car and driving for 45 minutes to an hour to the hobby shop, it really isn't that bad. I can't drive to my local hobby shop and back for $6.50. I can for $17 though! I know it goes by weight and destination, and I had a little bit of weight to the $17 shipping purchase. There were a bunch of old tires in the mix. Shipping has gone up a bit in the last 7 years, unfortunately.

That's the bad thing about buying a "lot" of stuff off ebay. You have to take everything in the lot, even if you don't want it. If you have an outlet for the unwanted stuff, then you are in good shape in that respect. I belong to a model car club also, and the guys are always swapping parts, or giving them away!

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Jul 31 12 10:18 PM

That's the advantage you have in living on the east side of the state, Les.  When I lived in the Detroit area suburbs, model car clubs were active, healthy, and lasted.

For some reason, here in the Kalamazoo area, model car clubs, if they ever get off the ground, don't stay aloft very long.  Conflicting work schedules or loss of interest make it hard for members to get together regularly.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bill Halpern (St. Claire Shores), Pete Foss, Bill enders, and Mike Lupo are are still actively collecting and meeting somewhere in your general area.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Jul 31 12 10:43 PM

LOL! I live more on the west side of the state! I'm halfway between Lansing and Grand Rapids. I only live about an hour or so away from you (just a little northeast of you). Not far away at all.

Yeah, the model club I belong to is a very loosely organized club. We have a lot of the kind of things you mentioned getting in the way of our meetings too. We only get together once in a while when we can, and then not everyone can make it when we do. Some of the member's health issues get in the way as well. I think there is only one guy in the club who is under 40!

Most of the members are from the Grand Rapids area, but we have one from Lansing, one from Ravenna, one from Portland, one from a town I can't remember east of Lansing, me, and one from Joliet Illinois! Needless to say, he usually makes only one or two meetings a year! He likes this club, and he also has family members in the Grand Rapids area. When he comes to visit, we try to schedule a meeting when he is around. A couple of these guys actually did live around the Detroit area though. The stories are fascinating! One of them actually had met, chatted with, and had lunch with Carroll Shelby years ago.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Aug 11 12 9:43 AM

What is the name of your town?

-mwcrowel

I must have missed this one when you asked the question, Mark. There have been a couple of times lately that I haven't been on here for a day or two. Or if I have, I haven't had time to leave any replies. Then I forget about it! lol! I keep getting told that is what happens when you get older. Now what was I saying..........?
Anyway, the name of the town I live in is Lake Odessa. As I was saying, it's located about halfway between Grand Rapids and Lansing, about 6 miles south of I-96 at exit 64. I also live about 5 miles west of M-66. I figured you probably just got me confused with someone else on where I live.

-- Les --

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Aug 11 12 10:17 PM

Oh yes, I've definitely heard of Mattawan. I've never been there, but have heard of it. Not too many people have heard of my little town though. Even people who live a lot closer to it than you do, have never heard of it! It's nothing special anyway, just a typical small town in Michigan!

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help