Remove this ad

Lead

Jun 29 12 10:26 AM

Tags : :

The Diecast category has been condensed from several categories to one category.  The topic and photos for the 2001 Impala are now in this category.  I believe that one main 'catch-all" category for diecast is enough (as we have with the tinplate cars), without having a separate category for each scale.  You will still be able to post all the diecast entries you want.

I am also considering a catch-all category for built kits, provided they are built in factory stock form, in keeping with the spirit of promotionals.  I need member feedback on this, please.  I don't want us to lose our focus on promotionals, but we all have other models that are worth showing.  Naturally, I want to avoid becoming too general, and thus being just another model car forum.

Thank you all, for your participation and effort in making this a quality forum.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jun 29 12 12:49 PM

Das fine , Course I'd like to see both dioramas an kit models too. I'm not at the Childrens Forum anymore , so don't look for me . I've had it with the likes of the Heavy handed Moderator who thinks he's Thomas Jefferson. So happens , I happen to know desendents of Mr. Jefferson personally......

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jun 29 12 6:14 PM

Sounds good to me too, Mark. I was also going to ask you back when I first joined (and forgot!), about resin kits that were cast off promos. Some of these are very nice. Of course not all of them are, but some are basically a promo kit anyway. Any thoughts about those? 

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jun 30 12 4:24 AM

I am also considering a catch-all category for built kits, provided they are built in factory stock form, in keeping with the spirit of promotionals. 

-mwcrowel

I like this idea--like it a lot! By "kits," I assume you mean full-detail kits built factory stock--or were you only thinking of the kits that were essentially just unassembled promos to start with, like this Corvette? (FWIW I consider this one to basically BE a promo, even though it started out as a "kit.")

If full-detail kits, what about limiting photo postings to "promo-style" shots only--meaning, no open hoods or doors, no underside shots of chassis, etc. Just "curbside" style pics like what you'd see if the model were actually a promo? I could go along with that.

Click here to view the attachment
Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jun 30 12 7:51 AM

I agree with your criteria, Snake.  Any type of kit (snap, promo kit, full detail, etc.) curbside shots, factory stock form.

Also, nice 'Vette.  Thanks for showing it.

I'll set up the category this weekend.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jun 30 12 8:28 AM

I agree with your criteria, Snake.  Any type of kit (snap, promo kit, full detail, etc.) curbside shots, factory stock form.
Also, nice 'Vette.  Thanks for showing it.
I'll set up the category this weekend.

-mwcrowel

Excellent!! This is the way I like to build most of my stuff anyway, so I'll really enjoy this category as well.  BTW, NICE Vette Snake!

Cool deal on the resin stuff also. I don't have much in resin because I really don't prefer it over styrene, There's nothing wrong with it I guess (too much cleanup), but I have grown to like my styrene! I only have 4 resin kits in my entire collection, but the '68 Impala SS427 and '67 Grand Prix I have from Modelhaus are very, very nice kits. They are really just a resin re-cast unassembled promo kit. The Impala is just a resin copy of a promo, and the Grand Prix is a modified Bonneville promo fitted in GP trim. Both have hoods molded in, and simplified chassis just as a promo would.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Jun 30 12 9:03 AM

This is awesome Mark. I was wondering what I was going to do after I got the rest of my promos and die cast vehicles posted. I only have 8 promos left to post! I still have over 20 die cast vehicles to post, but after that I would have emptied the tank! Now with the addition of the new categories, I will still be able to participate regularly. As I stated earlier, I build most of my stuff without all the fancy super-detail work that most of the other forums think you HAVE to have in order to have a good model. You can still make a good looking model without all that time consuming stuff added. This is very quickly becoming my favorite forum. You've done a good thing here. Thank you.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jun 30 12 10:56 AM

I like to build mine right out of the box, too.  Sometimes I'll build a kit promo style, with no engine, a sealed hood, and homemade wheel mounts with Q-Tip axles (stay tuned for my Lindbergh '53 Ford as an example of this).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Jul 1 12 12:28 AM

When I was young, if a model car didn't have an opening hood and engine, I didn't want it! Now I have a much different approach. I actually like doing a kit that has a molded in hood, and simplified suspension. I still like to build the ones with engines and separate suspension parts too. I like building out-of-the-box mostly, as we've stated. I don't get into all this under-hood plumbing, and brake & fuel lines, and all that super-detail stuff. It's not that I can't do it, because I can (and have). I just don't prefer it. Other than a forum like this and the model car club guys, not many people see them anyway. I build to suit ME! They look okay to me, sitting in my display case!

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Jul 1 12 6:36 AM

And that's what counts.  Any model that its owner is happy with, is a good model.

Back in the '70s, AMT reissued their simpler kits from the late '50s and early '60s.  I had two: the '59 Buick Invicta, and the '63 T-Bird.  They came with no engines, sealed hoods, and simple suspensions with metal axles.  I can't remember, but they might have had metal screws for the chassis.

Those were fun, carefree builds.  Should have kept them.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jul 1 12 6:48 AM

When I was young, if a model car didn't have an opening hood and engine, I didn't want it! Now I have a much different approach. I actually like doing a kit that has a molded in hood, and simplified suspension. I still like to build the ones with engines and separate suspension parts too. I like building out-of-the-box mostly, as we've stated. I don't get into all this under-hood plumbing, and brake & fuel lines, and all that super-detail stuff. It's not that I can't do it, because I can (and have). I just don't prefer it. Other than a forum like this and the model car club guys, not many people see them anyway. I build to suit ME! They look okay to me, sitting in my display case!

-modelcarsz

I couldn't agree with you more. I actually prefer curbsides and "snappers" these days. I like straightening out and detailing a body, then laying a smooth finish on it, and then going for the "sit" and overall look of the model, but I don't give a rat's rectum about engines or other chassis detail. I'll paint up whatever's there but I'm not spending a minute or a dime adding anything anymore more of the time. I've even been known to build full-detail kits with the engine compartment completely empty. Doesn't bother me at all.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Jul 1 12 11:10 AM

I think the model car manufacturers should take note of what we have written here.  The main purpose of a model is to show the car's design.  Even if it has opening features, a model is usually displayed with them closed.

If every car that is now offered in a full detail kit was also offered in snap kit form (not a big modification for the manufacturers to make), think of the increase in sales, among youngsters entering the hobby, and boomers wanting to remain in the hobby.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Jul 1 12 11:25 AM

Couldn't agree more. And I would rather see the makers offer two or three new body style kits on snap/curbside/promo-type chassis than one superdetailed kit with 30-50 new engine and chassis pieces for the same development and tooling costs.  

For example, how about if AMT or Revell would give us a new promo-style '65 GTO? Those interested in all the guts could scrounge the chassis, engine, and so forth from the Revell '66 GTO kit.

Similarly, how about a snapper '69 Firebird/Trans Am that could go on the '68 Firebird chassis? Or a new '67-'68 Camaro bodied kit (with BOTH standard and Rally Sport front ends) that could go on the '69 Camaro chassis if one wanted?

And the possibilities among the various GM A-bodies--both '64-'67 and '68-'72--boggle the mind.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Jul 1 12 11:25 PM

I think you guys may very well have something here! Some variations would be a good thing.A lot could be done by the ones who love to super-detail, but there would be a suitable simpler kit for the ones who like them more curbside or promo style. I think that concept would really work. Then the modelers wouldn't have to "settle" for something they're not really all that interested in.The same model would be available to all builders to build the way they prefer to build it.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Jul 31 12 9:06 AM

I agree with the rest of you who have posted on this subject. I am so fed up with "Superdetalling" model cars! I contend that in order to customize a car, it has to be stock, first! I have nothing against custom, drag, or other race cars, I have some of them myself. But, collecting promos was that start of this magnifcent hobby. It is the purest form of this hobby. As such, this website, too, should exist in the purest form. Too many categories just bogs us down. We need to make it easy for Mr. Crowel to host it and not make it another job!

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Jul 31 12 5:03 PM

I know I'm not the only one wanting either the 60 four door Corvair and the 2dr Corvair Monza that also saw a re- issue as a Craftsman series . Course , a 59 Mercury Convertable wouldn't be so bad either !

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Jul 31 12 6:23 PM

A 4-door Corvair wouldn't interest me in the least, although I could prolly find something cool to do with a 2-door. I wouldn't be building it stock, though.

An early Corvair "gasser" might be pretty cool. winkdevil

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help