Remove this ad

Lead

Aug 5 12 8:58 PM

Tags : :

Hello everyone! I am 16 and from Grants Pass, Oregon!
I found this site from a link posted on the ScaleAuto forums. I don't really know if I have any promo cars, but I do have a half sun bleached Chevy Berlinetta somewhere I think.
This looks like a very excellent forum so far, I see great potential!

A few months ago, a friend of my dads gave me a box of his old models. All but the Jo-Han 68 Police Fury's and an American Motors car aren't painted.
I am not sure if they are just Jo-Hans, or are actually promos. I am pretty sure that one of the cars is a promo, a 1962 Rambler convertible. It's pretty nice, I haven't cleaned it yet, but it only has a couple marks on the body.

Please let me know what you think. I will probably stick around and post every so often. I would like to find promos of my actual cars. I have 60's and 70's Pontiacs, and quite a few 80s ford mustangs(not sure if promos were made for 80s stuff?). My username comes from my interest in California Highway Patrol cars. One of my Mustangs is one just like in my avatar, I am currently restoring it to showroom condition. Pretty good start for a 16 year old lol.

I don't know if there is a picture limit or not, but here's some pics!

Here is the one I think is a promo for sure?

The only large blemish I could see from a quick look over of the model

If any of you want to see more of the others, just let me know!

EDIT: I see the pics were downsized and you can't really see all thats in the first pictures, so here is a link to my photobucket album with pictures of each of the cars (if it has concrete in the background, its from this lot, except the crown victoria)
http://s1171.photobucket.com/albums/r546/TheCopFoxStop/Model%20Kits/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Aug 5 12 10:07 PM

I just did some looking on ebay, I don't think any of the others are promos. I think they are just generic Jo-Hans since they have engines and fairly detailed chassis's.

And it doesn't look like I will be getting a 1963 Bonneville anytime soon with the prices...
What could a fixer upper bring?

-Sam Cars by day, kits by night!

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Aug 5 12 10:15 PM

Welcome Chipster!   We are certainly glad you joined.  There is no limit to the number of photos you can post, and you can upload photos from your own computer.

Looks like you have a fine selection of promos or built kits, both of which we show in this forum, as long as they are factory stock, as yours appear to be.  It looks like everything you have there is by JoHan.  When you get a chance, it would be great if you photographed each one separately, and posted it in its brand category.

You have a large number of real cars to restore, an ambitious undertaking for someone your age.  It would be interesting to know what led you into these projects.

Stay long and post often, Chipster.  I'm sure you'll make our forum even more interesting. 

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Aug 6 12 1:09 AM

I just did some looking on ebay, I don't think any of the others are promos. I think they are just generic Jo-Hans since they have engines and fairly detailed chassis's.
And it doesn't look like I will be getting a 1963 Bonneville anytime soon with the prices...
What could a fixer upper bring?

-chipster

Welcome Chipster! I think you'll like it here. Lots of good people here. I agree with Mark, as it looks like the models you have there are indeed Jo-Han. Never-the-less, they are some good ones. If you are looking for a '63 Bonneville, this one here is probably gonna be the best price you'll find on one. I just checked, and it is still available. The same place had a hardtop also, but it's already gone. Good luck!

Check this one out.....
http://www.spotlighthobbies.com/amt19poboco34.html   

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Aug 6 12 11:11 AM

WELCOME TO THIS WONDERFUL FORUM CHIPSTER! There is loads of information for the promo and stock model collector on here! Your Rambler is a kit. I have the same model but it is molded in light blue plastic. The way to tell if a "Jo-Han" model is a kit or promo is by looking at how the chassis is fastened on the cars. If it has screws with the slot still intact, it is a kit. If the screws have been grounded off smooth, it is a promo or store bought friction car. The Rambler American kit did not have a engine until 1963.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Aug 6 12 9:10 PM

Welcome Chipster!   We are certainly glad you joined.  There is no limit to the number of photos you can post, and you can upload photos from your own computer.Looks like you have a fine selection of promos or built kits, both of which we show in this forum, as long as they are factory stock, as yours appear to be.  It looks like everything you have there is by JoHan.  When you get a chance, it would be great if you photographed each one separately, and posted it in its brand category.You have a large number of real cars to restore, an ambitious undertaking for someone your age.  It would be interesting to know what led you into these projects.Stay long and post often, Chipster.  I'm sure you'll make our forum even more interesting. 

-mwcrowel

Thanks! I'll start cleaning them all up and post up photos. My intentions with quite a few of them (mostly the Chryslers) was to paint them a factory color and have a factory colored interior, and of course add the bare metal foil to the trim, replicate carpet, and possibly add heater hoses and plug wires to the engines. In an older Scale Auto mag I have, they did an article on a 67 Polara on detailing and improving. I would love to try the same on a couple of these I have, since they are just the regular JoHan's.

My dad has been restoring cars since he got out of high school in the early 80s. My first car was a 1963 Bonneville( would love to find a light gold promo) that I bought from my dad for $41 when I was in 5th grade. He was given the car and wasn't super interested in it since it was wrecked. I've just gotten more into older cars and have acquired more by either buying them, or earning them from my dad since I help him a lot(that's how I got most of them lol).

Welcome Chipster! I think you'll like it here. Lots of good people here. I agree with Mark, as it looks like the models you have there are indeed Jo-Han. Never-the-less, they are some good ones. If you are looking for a '63 Bonneville, this one here is probably gonna be the best price you'll find on one. I just checked, and it is still available. The same place had a hardtop also, but it's already gone. Good luck! Check this one out.....[url]   

-modelcarsz

Thanks for the welcoming! I would love to grab that '63, but my money has gone into one of my recent Mustangs. I almost got my dad to buy a cheap '63 convertible on ebay(real car), but he waited too long and it was sold to someone else. 
Pretty much any promo(or norm. JoHan) I would like to buy would have to be a restoration project with little to no warp, that way I coule paint it the same color as my car, or my dream cars color (depending on model).

WELCOME TO THIS WONDERFUL FORUM CHIPSTER! There is loads of information for the promo and stock model collector on here! Your Rambler is a kit. I have the same model but it is molded in light blue plastic. The way to tell if a "Jo-Han" model is a kit or promo is by looking at how the chassis is fastened on the cars. If it has screws with the slot still intact, it is a kit. If the screws have been grounded off smooth, it is a promo or store bought friction car. The Rambler American kit did not have a engine until 1963.

-rdmink

Thanks also for the welcoming and that great info! I just refurbished it this evening, I'll create a thread about it after I finish this post. It came out great! Is the 62 a fairly unusual/rare model?

Glad to be part of this forum!

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Aug 6 12 10:31 PM

Where do you store and restore all those real cars?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#7 [url]

Aug 6 12 11:17 PM

My dad had a shop building where he would restore cars, but we have moved out and now are working out of our garage. Next year we'll put a concrete floor in our barn and turn it into a shop. We have 3acres that has a house and a barn, most all te rest are cars my dad has found, bought, and plans to restore once we finish and stop doing stuff for other people.
A friend let's my dad store a lot of his late model (90s up) cop cars at his wrecking yard. My dad has basically made a small business out of buying and selling police cars. Basically we haven done anything to my dads cars due to customer cars. My dad only ha a few projects left, then we'll start doing our stuff and sell half of te collection.

It's pretty fun, we wouldn't be able to do anything we've done if we hadn't had the space.

Much easier to have a bunch of models than full size stuff lol

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Aug 7 12 8:06 PM

You and your dad are lucky to be making money doing something you enjoy.

-mwcrowel

It is fun, but right now he hasn't made much money from doing things for people. It's a good thing he has a second full time job to help pay the bills.

I'll probably try and buy a good fixer upper for cheap my senior year of high school to paint and flip to make some money. Probably do that until I'm in my 20s. Then I'll move to Ca. and apply with the CHP. 

Life is tough right now. I hope America gets better...

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Aug 8 12 7:43 AM

Sam, I hope you achieve your goal of joining the California Highway Patrol.  That is an admirable endeavor.

As for whether America gets better, that is up to the American people.  The President can't save us, and the politicians can't save us.  It's up to We The People to save our own country.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Aug 8 12 10:44 PM

Sam, I hope you achieve your goal of joining the California Highway Patrol.  That is an admirable endeavor.
As for whether America gets better, that is up to the American people.  The President can't save us, and the politicians can't save us.  It's up to We The People to save our own country.

-mwcrowel

You said a mouthfull Mark! Hopefully the people will realize this one of these days, and get back to the way it's supposed to be without all this ploitical garbage.
As for Sam...you seem to have a good level head on your shoulders. You seem very mature for your age. I admire your goals and ambitions as well. Good luck on your future. I think it will be a bright one for you.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help