Remove this ad

Lead

Aug 11 12 5:54 PM

Tags : :

Last night I was watching an American Pickers marathon on History Channel and Frank came across three Ford promos. They were only on-screen briefly but they were obviously a '66 or '67 Fairlane, a '65 (possibly '66) Galaxie, and some kind of early Fairlane--a '63, maybe? I'm not sure what was made back then in Fords. The guy asked $45 for all three and Frank talked him down to $10 apiece--he stole them! Why can't I run across deals like that?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Aug 11 12 6:50 PM

I watched that show, also. The cars were a tan '64 Fairlane, blue '65 Galaxie, and a brown '66 Fairlane. The Galaxie had a loose wheel but it was included. None of the cars were broken, they just needed a good cleanup. Yes, Frank stole them! These promos are in all kinds of places like that, I just cannot find the places!

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Aug 11 12 7:57 PM

I've seen that episode too. Did you guys see the one where they came across a shelving unit or two of old models with the boxes? They were in a building this guy had on one of their picks (can't remember which state now). They didn't show these for very long either. There were more models than what he bought, but Frank bought 27 original 1960 built models in their boxes, and gave $20 each for them! $540 dollars for all 27. I have had the exact same thought as you........where are these things when I'M looking around at slaes and such??!! I couldn't "pop" (as the pickers say) on a lot of them like they do, but at least I may have gotten a couple that I really want.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Aug 11 12 8:19 PM

At times like these, I remind myself of all the lucky deals I HAVE stumbled across.  Serendipity has smiled on all of us now and then.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#4 [url]

Aug 11 12 10:23 PM

You are so right Mark. I am very thankful for the good deals I've found by being in the right place at the right time as well. I think we tend to forget that at times, as you referred to. I probably wouldn't have half the stuff that I do, otherwise. It would still be nice to run across finds like the guys on "the Pickers" did though!

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Aug 15 12 4:05 AM

I went to the Springfield, Ohio flea market in 1986. I bought a couple of die cast trucks. But a guy had a whole collection of built '59 AMT annual models. They was boxed, all stock, and had the custom parts included. He was asking $125.00 for the whole thing. I was not interested. He later saw me and said he would take $75.00 for it. I did not take it! I thought that price was high for built up kits and at that time, I was only interested in unbuilt kits. But now, I wish I has took him up on his offer! Boy, was I ever stupid!

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Aug 15 12 8:35 AM

If you only knew then......... lol! How many times have we said that, eh? I never have missed out on a box full of stuff like that, but I have passed a few models up that I really wanted. One instance is an MPC '69 Bonneville Hardtop annual. A guy had one at the Toledo Toy Show probably about 10 years ago (or there abouts), and it was all complete and unbuilt except for the engine. The engine block had been assembled and nicely painted. The rest of the car was untouched. He was aking $85 for it. Try finding one of those for that that price now! I him-hawed around, and went to see if there were other things I might want there, before I spent the money on that model. I really wanted one of those Bonnevilles, and decided I better go back and get that one, because it was a good deal on it, even that long ago.

When I got back to the guy's table, I was already too late. Someone else had recognized the good deal on it also. I had been kicking myself since, until just recently when I finally found one at a decent price. Those things are ridiculous in price, and I got extremely lucky once again, although it took a few years. I honestly didn't think I would ever be able to get one again, given the price they are asking for them now.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help